A Government Technical Training Institution, located within Machakos municipality next to National Cereal Produce Board deport off Konza road. It was established in 1958 to provide technical craft skills to those maimed by war. It was then sponsored by the Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind and its local partner Kenya Society for the Blind initially to serve only male trainees who were taught orientation and mobility, braille literacy, handicraft and telephone operation course.
In 1987, the first female students were admitted and knitting & garment making courses introduced. In 1994 the first integrated Artisan level training was started. In 1997 the Institution was upgraded and renamed Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind becoming the only Technical Training Institution in East & Central Africa offering Kenya National Examination Council (K.N.E.C.) Craft courses to the visually impaired persons.
The Institution serves the needs of the visually impaired in East and Central Africa region. Notable among our achievements in rehabilitation are 1998 August 7th Nairobi bomb blast survivors and the “Kumi kumi” illicit brew victims.